Virtual Museum Tours
Many museums have closed their doors but they are open for business online. Here’s a list of museums that have put their collections online for you to enjoy.
- British Museum in London
- Guggenheim Museum, New York
- National Gallery of Art, Washington D.C.
- Musée d’Orsay, Paris
- National Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art, Seoul
- Pergamon Museum, Berlin
- Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam
- Van Gogh Museum, Amsterdam
- Paul Getty Museum, Los Angeles
- Uffizi Gallery, Italy
- Museu de Arte, São Paulo
- The Louvre, Paris
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York
Online Concerts and Shows
The music and cultural scenes are doing their best to keep going. You can stream nightly concerts and Broadway shows from the comfort of your living room… or perhaps you’d prefer to relax in a bubble bath with an iPad.
- Broadway Plays and Musicals You Can Watch On Stage From Home
- Stream the Met Opera nightly for free
- Check out STAGEIT for access to “Shut in and Sing” events and online concerts
- NPR is keeping a live list of Virtual Concerts which is updated daily.
Learn Something New
Learning something new doesn’t need to cost money. You can keep your brain active and learn a new language in just five minutes a day. Perhaps you would prefer to learn how to draw or code? Drops is another app that makes learning a new language fun.
- Yale University is offering a free course online – The Science of Well-Being – that teaches you how to be happier.
- Take a University Art Class – net has a list of 10 classes you can take for free online.
- Coursera offers free online courses from many of the world’s top universities in a wide variety of subjects
- Become an Artist with Art ala Carte on YouTube.
- Code Academy offers a free online coding course.
Take a Virtual Field Trip
Field trips might be cancelled but just like the virtual museum tours we suggested, here are some ideas for creating an at-home field trip. If you’ve ever wanted to visit a national park or explore the surface of mars from the comfort of your home, there’s never been a better time.
- San Diego Zoo
- Yellowstone National Park
- Explore the Surface of Mars
- Live Animal Cams at the San Diego Zoo, Monterey Bay Aquarium, Zoo Atlanta, Houston Zoo, Georgia Aquarium, Smithsonian National Zoo, Reid Park Zoo, Ouwehand Zoo
- Live farm cams from Farm Food 360
- The Great Wall of China
- Boston Children’s Museum
- Colonial Williamsburg
- Ellis Island
- Disney Imagineering In A Box
- LEGO Engineering Workshop
- Skype A Scientist
- LUNCH DOODLES with Mo Willems
- #GADBookClub: Actor Josh Gad (Olaf from Frozen) is reading bedtime stories live on his Twitter every night.
- National Geographic Kids
- PBS Kids: Design Squad Global
- Scholastic Learn At Home: Day by day projects to keep kids thinking, learning, and growing.
Binge Watch Something New
If you have the feeling that you’ve watched everything there is to see on Netflix, here are some other platforms you can download to your phone, tablet, or smart TV for a variety of shows and movies.
- PlutoTV is always free and has 250+ of free channels to choose from. This has an App for Android or Apple devices, as well as working on your smart TV.
- XUMO is a free (ad-supported) service with 200 channels of movies, TV shows and kids’ entertainment.
- Sundance Now has a 30-day free trial with the code SUNDANCENOW30. This service offers thrillers, True Crime, and Dramas.
- Shudder has a 30-day free trial with the code SHUTIN. Shudder specializes in horror movies and thrillers.
- UMC has a 30-day free trial with the code UMCFREE30. UMC has the best in Black film and TV.
- Acorn TV has a 30-day free trial with the code FREE30 and is full of British and Australian TV shows
- Crunchyroll has a 14-day free trial and access to Anime
- Philo is a cable alternative that has a 7-day free trial then it’s $20/month for 59+ channels.
- Sling TV is another Cable alternative and has two packages available
- IMDb TV is an ad-supported movie streaming service
Game Reserves and webcams for anyone who loves the bush.
WildEarth.tv streams on YouTube and Facebook daily at 6:30am and 3:00pm and is highly recommended. On UTube type in “Wild Earth the date then sunrise or sunset drive” and this takes you to the drives on the west side of Kruger in the private game reserves. They video them early am from 6:30 to 9am and afternoon from 3:30. You can also watch the recorded ones so that you can fast forward if you get tired of a particular sighting. All free on YouTube. daily 24/7